King Roland Ironfist is a major character in the Heroes of Might and Magic series, first introduced as the protagonist of Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars. As one of Morglin Ironfist's two sons, he was the brother of Archibald Ironfist, and succeeded his brother in the lengthy conflict known as the Succession Wars. Following his brief ten-year rule over the kingdom, he played an active role during the wars in Antagarich to purge the Kreegans from Enroth.
As a young man Roland was far too trusting of other people. While his brother, Archibald, plotted and killed several seers, Roland did not believe these deaths could be anything but accidents. Betrayed by his brother, who accused Roland of killing the seers, he was forced to flee in order to escape imprisonment. Mustering together loyal followers, the beloved Roland led a revolution against his brother. Roland won the war. Archibald became a stone statue and was placed in the Library.
Following the Succession Wars, Roland received an offer from King Gryphonheart of Erathia to marry his daughter, Catherine. Impressed by her beauty and incredible skill as a warrior and leader, he accepted. They soon wed and happiness became his. Not until the birth of his son, Nicolai was this happiness topped. For Roland, life had become perfect.
For ten years all was peaceful until the appearance of Devils on the Enrothian border, and Roland was forced to drive their presence from the land. Taking a company of well-trained men he attempted, and failed, to drive the Devils out. Instead, he was captured and transported to Erathia. Roland was not freed until seven years later when a group of adventurers came to his aid. He then rejoined his wife and son for a brief reunion.
Heroes VI Edit
Good, kindly, and honourable, Roland is one of the two sons of King Morglin Ironfist. After Morglin's passing, Archibald seized the throne, accusing Roland of murdering the royal seers. Forced to flee the court, Roland is now gathering his supporters, determined to fight his evil brother for the crown.
- Roland's hero class in Heroes II is inconsistent - in the penultimate scenario, Corlagon's Defense, he is an allied Knight, while in Final Justice and Apocalypse he appears as a Wizard. He is the only Heroes II hero to have a dual class.
- Roland's character model was reused in the early trailer of Legends of Might and Magic, identical to his depiction in the Armageddon's Blade intro.
- Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Succession Wars
- Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (mentioned only)
- Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia (mentioned only)
- Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
- Heroes of Might and Magic III: Armageddon's Blade
- Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer
- Might and Magic IX (mentioned only)
- Legends of Might and Magic (mentioned only)
|Heroes of Might and Magic II characters |
|Protagonists||Commander - Roland Ironfist - Archibald Ironfist|
|Storyline characters||Brother Brax - General Corlagon - King of the Dragons - King of the Ogres - Lord Haart - Halton - Morglin Ironfist - Rocklin - Royal Seer - Sister Eliza - Wyrm|
|Recurring heroes||Agar - Crag Hack - Falagar - Fineous - Gem - Halon - Lord Alamar - Lord Kilburn - Luna - Sandro|
|Castle heroes in Heroes III|
|Catherine Ironfist · Sir Christian · Edric· Haart · Morgan Kendal · Mullich · Orrin · Roland Ironfist · Sorsha · Sylvia · Tyris · Valeska|
|Adela · Adelaide · Caitlin · Cuthbert · Ingham · Loynis · Rion · Sanya|