Morale represents the overall battle spirit of a combat stack. It is an integer number between -10 and 10. At the start of each round, all stacks on the battlefield (except undead and mechanical ones) make a check for morale.
Heroes of Might and Magic IV Edit
If their morale stat is positive, they have Morale*10% chance to receive a Good Morale status (up to 100% when Morale is 10). If their morale stat is negative, they have -Morale*10% chance to receive a Bad Morale status (up to 100% when Morale is -10).
The effect of good or bad morale lasts until the end of the round. Units with Good Morale act earlier than units without Morale or units with Bad Morale, and also receive a 25% damage bonus to all their attacks. Units with Bad Morale act later than units without Morale or units with Good Morale, and also receive a 20% damage penalty to all their attacks.
Morale of a non-Undead and non-Mechanical unit depends on many factors. See below incomplete list of them.
- Basic Morale stat of a unit is +1.
- Presence of friendly alignment units in army decreases Morale by 1.
- Presence of hostile alignment units in army decreases Morale by 5.
- Presence of Might alignment units decreases Morale of non-Might units by 2 and vice versa.
- Presence of Undead creatures decreases Morale of non-Death units by 2.