Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm is the first expansion-pack released for Heroes of Might and Magic IV. Produced by New World Computing and distributed by The 3DO Company, it was launched on September 24, 2002, and was the second to last title before the Ubisoft takeover.
In addition to the six new campaigns and twenty one scenarios (totalizing short of fifty new maps), the expansion-pack adds four creatures, apparently created by Hexis to acts as his guardians and servants. These creatures are the Dark champion, the Evil sorceress, the Gargantuan and the Goblin knight. They cannot be purchased in towns and have no map dwelling either, and feature heavily in the campaigns, especially in the one. The second expansion, Heroes of Might and Magic IV: Winds of War adds four new dwellings, one for each of the new units.
There are eleven new adventuring map locations, sixteen new artifacts which you will find in the campaigns and provides bonus abilities if you wear some of them, and a new music track.
- Masters of Magic has five maps and follows Bohb the Archmage, who knows every single school of magic, and his sidekick Violet, as he acquires five artifacts used by the legendary archmage Nevar.
- Opposites Attract has four maps, and is the story of Kozuss, who knows both Chaos and Order magic, as he locates the Ice Scales, Flame of Chaos, and the Necklace of Balance.
- Another Bard's Tale has three maps and is where Agraynel locates Aiffe's Mandolin. She's starts out as a Bard which is the advanced class which combines Nature and Stealth which gives the hero maximum luck.
- Might Makes Right has three maps and is how Dogwoggle makes a fashion statement by finding the Tiger Armor and Tiger Helm.
- A Matter of Life and Death has four maps which puts you in control of Alita, a Dark Priest who has both Life and Death magic as she finds the Ring of Light and Cloak of Darkness. Fortunately, you also get Allendale who helps you out with morale as well as his tactical bonuses.
- The Gathering Storm has three maps and can only be accessed once all of the other campaigns are finished. You get control of the five heroes and five combination artifacts to defeat a powerful foe.